Case study: How we have spiced up the Dáme jídlo blog and drew the attention of 126 000 readers24. 11. 2020 Autor Izabela Nováková
The company Dáme jídlo probably requires no introduction. It started as a startup in 2012; however, it currently belongs among the major players in food delivery from restaurants in more than 170 municipalities.
Our collaboration began in February 2019 with an in-depth analysis of SEO opportunities. Dáme jídlo essentially covers the organic search for the main phrases in the segment; thus, we did not concentrate only on the food delivery segment while analysing the opportunities, but the food segment as a whole, i. e., all the possibilities when a user searches for any information about food.
We identified great SEO potential in expanding the Dáme jídlo website into a more comprehensive “guide” in the food segment. Based on the search queries, we concluded that some phrases have a strong substitution effect, and users’ intent can easily be changed through content.
Objectives of the collaboration
We aimed at increasing organic traffic in other parts of the food segment, which rather belong to the SEE phase within the STDC framework. Articles about food, ingredients, healthy eating and recipes constitute one of the most searched segments of the Czech Internet and have a vast potential to reach a broader target group. Therefore, creating a blog revolving around food was the next step forward. Thus, we started to prepare the essential ingredients for creating a blog – a keyword analysis and a publishing plan.
How we created the publishing plan
1. Competitor content analysis
When creating a publishing plan, first of all, you need to determine the goals you want to achieve with your blog, what type of content you want to create and for whom. We knew the blog’s purpose for Dáme jídlo: to increase organic traffic and reach existing and new target audiences with different content. Another stepping stone was an extensive content analysis of the competition and, of course, keyword analysis. We analysed what content the competition created, which keywords they related to in search engines and how competitive that content was.
Bottom line: Following such in-depth research, we obtained valuable data revealing the basic outlines of a publishing plan.
2. Creating personas
To tailor the Dáme jídlo blog to our readers’ tastes, we needed to know who we were actually going to write for. Figuring out who the reader is makes our work easier; therefore, we created four personas in the initial stages of preparing our publishing plan. We defined each persona by name, demographics, desires and concerns, and of course, the type of content they would be interested in. We also created a SEE-THINK-DO-CARE model for each persona.
3. Choosing topics
Immediately afterwards, we started to brainstorm the topics themselves. To form a comprehensive view of everything revolving around food, we drew inspiration wherever we could. We browsed through dozens of cookbooks and scrolled through culinary groups on social media. And the result? A total of 160 topics divided into five main categories that appeal to a wide range of Dáme jídlo customers.
The publishing plan’s cornerstones are as follows: timeless recipes that consistently bring organic traffic to the blog.
- Articles including procedures and tutorials constitute a versatile package of content that will appeal to all culinary enthusiasts and beginners in the art of cooking.
- Articles about food and ingredients, in turn, rank among the most popular with readers who keep coming back to the blog.
- The range of topics on a healthy diet presents a mix of inspiration on how to eat healthy yet tasty.
- News represent the essence of every blog. Especially the one about food. Perhaps every food lover wants to stay up to date.
The process of creating articles
Creating quality content is like baking homemade bread. The blog article, like the sourdough, needs its time. Every text we create for Dáme jídlo is preceded by thorough research so that we can really go in-depth and bring readers interesting, value-added content that will linger in their minds. An ideal blog post should engage not only readers but also search engines. To do so, you need to use relevant keywords.
And finally, no corporate blog post should lack a clear and concise call-to-action. For the Dáme jídlo blog, we directly designed a CTA button that helps us measure how many people actually proceed from the blog to the website.
Approximately 20 new articles a month were published on the blog. Each article was agreed upon with Dáme jídlo to make sure the blog headed in the same direction as the brand. And slowly but surely, traffic to the blog grew.
The most successful articles and their key ingredients
The article on cooking rice to perfection has long been at the top of the most read ever. And what was the essence of its success? There are hundreds of rice-related recipes and tips on the internet; however, you can always grasp a subject that has been described hundreds of times better and more comprehensively. We’ve focused on providing a sophisticated approach to cooking rice, including such basics as choosing the right pot, the correct ratio of water to rice, and an overview of the differences between rice varieties. After all, basic procedures are among the most sought after.
The quality of the content has been appreciated by readers and the Google search engine. The detailed instructions on cooking rice moved the article to the zero position and made it into the featured snippets. A result included in the featured snippets will set you apart from your competitors and increase your brand awareness.
- Featured snippets are usually created for who, what, when, where, how or why questions. The article must contain an accurate and quality answer to the phrase to appear in the snippet position.
- The article must also make sense in an HTML document. Therefore, you should use headings, bullet points or numbering.
- Include the keyword in both the headline and the title.
How we evaluated the content
You can’t improve blog content without evaluating it. Every month, we dove into Google Analytics and Search Console and used their data to track trends, analysing which topics were engaging and which were performing poorly. In addition to standard metrics like the number of visits or traffic sources, we also monitored time on page or read rates.
How we tweaked the less successful articles
Based on the data, we started revising articles with lower readership. After all, any blog needs to create new articles and optimise existing ones. Whether by adding more keywords, changing headlines, adding links, improving visuals, or expanding content. All of this can kick an underperforming blog article back into gear and propel it to the top of search rankings.
Collaborative blog results
We’ve published a total of 140 articles on the blog since May 2019, read by over 126,000 organic search readers. The results on the blog were not immediately visible, and the traffic naturally increased depending on the number of articles published. Over the 16 months of working together, we have exceeded 20,000 visits per month.
10 reasons why creating a company blog makes sense
- By creating quality content, you can boost organic traffic to your website.
- By covering relevant keywords, you can enhance your rankings in search results without paid advertising.
- You can build a deeper relationship with your customers.
- You increase the brand awareness of your brand.
- You can boost sales of your products or services.
- You will gain an edge over your competitors.
- You can reinforce your position as an expert in your field.
- By sharing know-how and tips, you strengthen your brand’s credibility.
- You establish a community.
- You will gain engaging content for social media and newsletters.
8 reasons to entrust your blog to us
- We can tailor the blog and its content to your target audience and business strategy.
- You get content meeting your goals: drawing organic traffic, top search rankings or converting.
- We’ll set the right tone of communication, structure and visuals for your articles.
- We always base our articles on data.
- We build a community of readers around your blog.
- We create engaging yet optimised articles that engage readers and search engines.
- We can handle any field, even technical.
- We regularly evaluate, analyse and revise articles.